Monday, February 6, 2017

Momma's boy

Thirteen years ago, I lost one of my best friend's.  I lost the person that even through her illness, called to "just check in" every day.  I can still see her and her Pepsi sitting there calling to see how her grandchildren are.  I can only imagine her social media pages to keep up with what was going on with her and her family. Gretchen will never be forgotten.

This used to be a very sad, emotional day for me.  I would wake up, make my tribute post to her before I went to work, shed a tear, and think about her all day. Every tribute was heart felt and honest about missing my time with my mom. I can still see her take her last breath.

Since then, something changed in me.  I don't miss her any less, but this day became easier.  I focused on the memories that I have of her.  I look at the pictures and smile.  Being able to remember those times makes me smile.

But still, that's not the reason that it became a little easier.  This day became a little easier because I have faith that eventually, there will be a reunion.  I will get to see her smile, I don't have to remember her when she was sick.  There is no sickness in heaven.  I can only imagine that she will be in the middle of all of my loved ones that have passed, and she will be sipping her Pepsi and hoot and hollering at people.

So today, don't feel sorry for me.  Don't feel sorry for yourself that you are missing someone.  Have the faith that you will be reunited with the loved ones that you have lost and when you do that, they will be the most beautiful version of them.  I can only imagine that my eyes will see exactly the person that makes me smile.  Yes I miss her tremendously, but my faith and anticipation is so much greater than sad feelings.  I don't have time to feel sad, because I have to continue her contagious ways of making other's smile.

So, whether you are dieting or not drinking soda, stop today, and drink a Pepsi.  When you drink that Pepsi, think of Gretchen and you will be sure to smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment