Sunday, July 21, 2019

The Call

When did my faith journey begin?  Some think it was about six years ago, but my journey started 47 years ago.  Once I understood what faith was, I understood that every step of my life was where God intended me to be and it is what got me to where I am today. 

But I will say my faith journey took steroids, spiritual steroids, and amped up a ton about 6 years ago.  I always knew and believed that God was there and Jesus was real, but now I wanted something more.  I wanted a relationship.  I started researching and watching different things online.  Then, at the recommendation of my cousin, I tried our church and right away, I felt the Holy Spirit moving in me there.  

Tami and I were married shortly after, at the urging of our pastor, to get the "horse in front of the cart."  We wanted to be right with God.  The day after our marriage, we were water baptized.  Many of you already know this story, but it will get better.  I stopped trying to fit Jesus in my life, but instead I started living my life for Jesus.

Fast forward to two years ago.  As I was having a general conversation with a friend, she stops mid-sentence and says, "I feel that I am supposed to tell you that you are to go back to school and become a pastor."  Then, she proceeds with the conversation.  I then stop her and said, "Wait a minute, what did you just say?"  She said, "Yes, and it may be a place where they have not met Jesus."  I was in shock.  I had never had a "God moment" like I had heard others talk about.  

Now, if that would have happened 5-10 years earlier, I would have laughed it off and just continued with the conversation.  But I was at a different place in my faith now, and I took this serious.  I prayed on it.  I went on my first Global Team to Africa. And I prayed some more.  Four months later I was starting my first class towards my master's degree in Christian Studies.  I had to be obedient.  Act 5:29 (NLT) tells us, "But Peter and the apostles replied, “We must obey God rather than any human authority."  I just had to keep praying and remain obedient.

Here I am, two classes and five months remaining in my master's degree.  Tami and I pray and remain patient and obedient.  We pray for what will be my next calling.  I don't know if it will be ministry, missions, or where it may lead us, but we both understand that we must be obedient to God's plans for our lives. 

God has such great plans for each of us.  I don't regret any of my past, because I understand that each step of the way, even when I was angry with God, He was with me each step.  Each step has molded me into what I am becoming and I am fully aware that the best is yet to come.  If I could tell you one thing, is to be obedient.  When you hear that voice to take a risk, especially when the risk includes God, chances are it will work out for the best, because it is His Plan, in His Time.  

Not everyone knows my journey and what I am preparing for.  (I guess I am not sure what of my definite plans.)  But I know that when they examine the Word that is the foundation for our lives, they will be supportive because all we are asked to do is be obedient.  God will light the path for us, but we have to be willing to follow it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment