Friday, March 13, 2020

A World like I have never Seen it

It's March 2020.  The world feels as if it is falling apart.  People are scared.  But there is hope.  In my life, I cannot remember a time when the world, this country was scrambling as they are right now.  But there is hope.  Schools closing. Major events cancelled.

I can't tell you if I will get sick.  I can't tell you if anyone in my family will get sick.  But I can tell you that I am not going to live in fear.  I refuse to allow this pandemic to keep me from living with a hope of a better tomorrow, even a better later today.  I refuse to let this cause me to live in fear.  I refuse to let this stop me from helping and serving others.  And I refuse to let this stop me from serving a God that is much bigger than any virus or illness we will face. 

So what do we do....

We pray.  When we hit our knees and pray to a great God, miracles can take place.  Matthew 26:41 (NLT) says, "Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!”  Avoid the temptation of feeding into the scare that is taking this world by storm.  But do pay attention.  It may make us tired and feel weak hearing all of the bad things that come with this.  But keep praying!  Keep the Spirit close.  The Spirit is ready and willing to keep guard while the body is tired.

We fall forward.  When I was coaching, I like to say that times will be tough, but we must keep going.  There is an old saying that says, "If you fall seven times, get up eight."  But sometimes it just is not that easy.  But what you can do is fall forward, and that is just what we need to do.  We need to fall forward, and keep moving forward, crawling, digging, whatever we can to just keep moving forward until we can get back up.  It is the only way that we can make progress, individually or all of us as a whole. 

We must stay positive. Times may get tough, but you're not alone, and you need to find a way to stay positive.  Proverbs 17:22 (NIV) indicates, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones."  Positive thinking provides an opportunity to get a jump start on healing.  But just as Proverbs says a crushed spirit is succumbing to whatever it is that is bringing you down.  A positive attitude is contagious.  It helps your immune system. And it just makes you feel better.

We must serve and help others.  Even if I come down with this illness, to keep it in perspective, I will be better off than some of the people I have served and visited with.  It is important that we take care of ourselves, but it as Paul say in Philippians 2:4 (ESV), "Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others."  There are some that cannot take care of themselves.  Should we turn a blind eye to them and not help them.  No, it is important we take care of each other and those in need as well. 

We must choose faith and not fear.  We need to keep in mind that we serve a God that all powerful, can do anything whenever He chooses to, and can perform miracles through us and in us.  Don't doubt that and don't avoid telling others that.  But where do we find faith?  "So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ."  (Romans 10:17 ESV) If you are living in fear or have some fears, find some strength by sitting down and pulling out the Bible and reading.  But when you read, listen, be vulnerable enough to let God speak to you through the Word.  "When I am afraid,
I put my trust in you."  (Psalm 56:3, ESV). Fear is a real emotion that causes reaction.  We can react be putting our trust in our faith.

So, yes, these crazy times are upon us. How will you respond?  I choose to pray, fall forward, stay positive, serve others, and be faithful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment